Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Things I've Learned From My Three Year Old (2)


Things I've Learned From My Three Year Old (2)

Sometimes we get so focused on the destination we fail to enjoy the journey. We are so rushed. So much to do. So many things to accomplish. So many problems to solve. Life can be one big blur. I teach in the same school my 3 year old attends. Every morning we travel together. I soon began to notice that even though we were going to the same destination, we were experiencing the journey differently. "Why is there a bridge here?" "Where do the deer stay at night?" "Where does the sun go when the clouds come?" His incessant questioning tries my patience but I do my best to answer each one. For him, it has not been so much about the destination as it has been about the journey, the "daddy time". As adults, don't we sometimes diminish our quality of life by allowing feelings of anxiety to fester. Worry can be so destructive.Those who suffer from thantophobia, the excessive fear of death, can attest that focusing too much on a future task or event can really spoil the journey. The journey would be so much more enjoyable if we would take Paul's advice to the Philippians, "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God."

No comments:

Post a Comment