Thursday, May 20, 2010

Personal Testimony

Personal Testimony




I was born and reared in a Christian home and I was blessed with parents who loved God and committed themselves to teaching their children Christian values. I committed to Christ as a Junior High student at a youth camp. My parents, concerned about my education and moral development, sent me to a private school in my 10th grade year. Mount Carmel High School is a Christian boarding school that provides excellent opportunities to excel academically as well as spiritually.

As a junior in high school I felt a divine calling to enter a ministry of teaching and preaching. I graduated from high school and attended Kentucky Mountain Bible College where I deepened my spiritual commitment to the ministry. After graduating from KMBC I continued my education at Morehead State University in eastern Kentucky.

In the years that followed, I married, became pastor of a church, fathered two sons and began a career as a public school teacher. As my commitment to my own education and career deepened, my spiritual commitment to God and his kingdom waned. My failure to keep Christ as the center of my life resulted in a failed marriage and a great deal of pain for many people.

I began a period of introspection and soul searching. I came to terms with my own failures and sin and recommitted my life to Christ. I soon discovered that the calling of God on my life to teach and preach had never been rescinded. I had to decide if I would be obedient by answering that call. A renewed dedication to the calling of God would require a total consecration. I had been delegating God to the periphery of my life and he was demanding that I make him the center of all. I consecrated my life to him, he cleansed my heart and imparted to me an empowering of his Spirit. With this new found strength I determined to step out on faith.

I married a wonderful woman, her name is Shannon and she loves Christ deeply. I now have a 3rd son named Kameron. I resigned from public education and began working at a private Christian school. I have become Associate Pastor of CrossPointe Nazarene Church in Columbus, Georgia.

I regret the many years I spent digging my own cisterns. Instead of drinking freely and daily from the Spring of Living Water, I drank from cisterns. I sought security in changeable things rather than an unchangeable God. I put my faith in possessions, people and my own abilities. God allowed some very traumatic events to affect my life before I finally accepted the truth that there is no lasting security outside of Christ.

My sins are forgiven by the blood of Christ. I am committed to stand in the gap, to stand between the living and the dead and to do all I can to spread the truth of God's redeeming love. I regret that I can never recover lost years. But God's promise to me is found in Joel 2:25 "I will repay you for the years the locusts have eaten…" I am grateful for second chances and I want to make the most of the opportunities God has given me.

2 comments:

  1. I have learned from your life that listening to God can one of the best things I can do for my life. I currently am thinking about pathes I might want to take in life and Mr. Burns actually taught about decisions in life. He said that God should lead me in my decision I make and I agree with him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading this. The blog gave me a sense of knowing who my teacher is and his background. I also liked the verse that was added in here; very true.

    ReplyDelete