Computers have transformed our culture. They have made the world much smaller and enabled us to belong to a global community. China is no longer on the other side of the world. It is as if China is in our backyard. In some mysterious way computers have made our lives more complex when the original promise was to simplify them. Some of us are old enough to remember the "milk man". Some may even be old enough to remember the 'ice man'. I'm wondering if my six year old son will remember the 'mail man'? Here are seven things that may be eliminated by new technology:
1. The Post Office: Emails are killing the postal business.
2. The Check: Plastic cards will eventually make checks obsolete.
3. Television: Commercials run every 4 1/2 minutes. No commercials on Netflix
4. Music: Illegal downloading is cutting profits. New artists are playing old songs.
5. Land line telephone: Cell phones, satellites, laptops make landlines impractical
6. Newspapers: I used to be a 'paper boy'. Real time news online is two days ahead of the local paper
Kevin Probst - Teaches History, Government and Apologetics at the high school level in Columbus Georgia.