Sunday, May 29, 2011

His Whispers of Hope




God took Elijah up into the mountains to reveal himself to him. Have you ever experienced a time when God decided to reveal himself to you in a special way? Elijah stood on Mount Horeb and a hurricane wind shook the mountains but God was not in the wind. An earthquake created new crevasses but God was not in the quake. A fire engulfed the mountaintop but god was not in the fire. And then Elijah experienced something extremely powerful, more powerful than the wind, quake and fire. He heard the still small voice of God. Have you ever heard the whisper of God?
A Canadian pastor fell asleep at the wheel of his car. He hit a parked truck along the side of the road. His wife was severely injured. She had a lacerated liver and a broken back. She had to have an emergency five hour surgery to stop eternal bleeding. Three days later she had to have a 12 hour surgery to fuse six vertebrae together and insert two metal rods in her back.
The pastor said, “I felt so guilty. Why didn’t I stop? How will the kids respond if their mother doesn’t make it? I’m such a failure. What will I do if she dies? How will she ever forgive me?” He said he was tormented through the dark, sleepless hours of the night and then…he heard the whisper of God. “You are my child and I still love you.”
“The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God's children” – (Romans 8:16) It’s a wonderful thing to hear the assuring whisper of God.
Do you think that Mary needed assurance when the angel revealed that she was going to be the mother of God? The young virgin was ostracized for nine months while the townspeople gossiped behind her back. She was able to endure that dark time in her life because the angel of God slipped next to her and whispered, “Mary, you are favored by God.”
Peter knew what lay in his heart. He knew how weak and fickle he was. Jesus wasn’t fooled. He told Peter as much when he said, “You’ll deny me three times.” When Peter failed Jesus, when he was standing out in the courtyard, alone and dejected…do you think he was remembering the words of Jesus. “You are Simon the son of John, but you will be called Cephas, the Rock.” Jesus believed in Peter and even though he was aware of all his weaknesses he shared words that would later bring assurance to him.
When Martha looked on the dead body of her brother, Lazarus, she heard the whisper of God, “I am the resurrection and the life.”
When the disciples realized Jesus would one day leave them they heard the whispers of assurance: “I will not leave you as orphans, I will come again to you.”
I have sometimes wondered which direction I should take and I’ve heard that whisper of God behind me…”Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, ‘This is the way; walk in it.’” – (Isaiah 30:21)
He is always there for me:
When I am thirsty he gives me– “living water” – John 4:10
When I am lonely – I discovered “a friend who sticks closer than a brother.” – Proverbs 18:24
When I needed covering – I hear him whisper, “And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin.” – Matthew 6:28
When I am sick – I ask myself, “Is there no balm in Gilead? Is there no physician there?" - Jeremiah 8:22
When I am weak – I’ve learned that my heart can be “strong, blameless, and holy in the presence of God.” – 1 Thes. 3:13
When I pass through the waters he promises to be with me.
When I pass through the fire he whispers that I will not be burned.
When I feel tired and weary – He whispers to me… “There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.” – Heb. 4:9
When I feel like I’m in danger – I hear him whisper, “For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways.” – Psalm 91:11
When I am haunted by the fear of death – I hear him say, “Death has been swallowed up in victory." – 1 Cor. 15:54
When I am confused by bad things that happen – I hear him whisper “all things work together for good to them that love God.” – Romans 8:28
When the enemy looks too big to defeat – I hear him whisper, “If I am for you, who can be against you?” – Romans 8:31 “Greater is he that is in you than he that is in the world.”
When I fear the future – I hear him say, “If I go and prepare a place for you I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am there ye may be also.” – John14:3
Is there pain in your life? If you can get quiet before God and hear his whispers of hope they will bring you assurance.


Kevin Probst - Teaches History, Government and Apologetics at the high school level in Columbus Georgia.

1 comment:

  1. To think and analyze things from one dimension can not lead to truth. Watch and listen it carefully.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwEjtond_Yg

    also watch it,
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAdwy5IJzj4

    ReplyDelete